
I wanted to give a little review of this burger because I tried it out last night at home and it was super easy to make, yummy, filling and even a hit with picky eaters (namely, Paige). I haven't been in the mood to cook super fancy dinners lately. I just don't have the energy and my poor husband is starting to become malnourished, so I figured that this week I was going to make an honest effort to put different meals on the table (the old tried and true recipes are getting very boring to cook) and actually feed him dinners that have some nutritional value, not loaded with all that sugar the baby is craving. :) Paige and Melinda were staying at our house last night and so I made these for the 4 of us and everyone loved them. Pretty impressive considering that two years ago my sister barely ate vegetables. I was a little nervous giving her a portobello burger, but she said that she loved it and so I would have to say that the Pioneer Woman won over a pretty tough critic. Here is the recipe for any of you that may be interested:
Ingredients
½ cups Mayonnaise
16 whole Basil Leaves
8 whole Large Portobello Mushrooms
1 cup Red Wine (optional)
Olive Oil For Brushing
Salt And Pepper, to taste
4 slices Provolone Cheese
4 slices Prosciutto
4 whole Kaiser Rolls, Split
Extra Basil Leaves
Instructions:
Rinse mushrooms thoroughly. Soak in red wine for 20 to 30 minutes
Combine mayonnaise and basil in a food processor or blender. Pulse until basil is totally mixed in with the mayonnaise. Set aside.
Grill mushrooms in a grill pan or on a charcoal grill, brushing lightly with olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper. Melt provolone cheese over the four largest mushrooms. Remove mushrooms from grill and stack the other four mushrooms on top of the cheese-topped mushrooms.
Drizzle griddle with olive oil. Toast kaiser rolls over medium-low heat until very crispy and toasted.
Spread basil mayonnaise generously on both the top and bottom halves of the kaiser roll. Place the double-decker mushroom on the bottom half, then place the prosciutto slice on top. Finally, top with basil leaves and the other half of the roll. Press lightly so some of the juices from the mushrooms will run into the bottom half of the roll.
(Note: I only made my burgers with one portobello and I thought it was perfect, but if you want a heftier burger then by all means load it up!)