Bandera's Cornbread, I am craving it. I just found this recipe on the web and I am going to give it a whirl (at some point), until then I am going there tonight with the girls to get my fix. I thought I'd share:
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 (15 oz.) can of creamed corn
2 oz. green chili peppers (1/2 small can roasted style)
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
4 eggs
(now this is definitely healthy)
Directions:
preheat oven and skillet to 300 degrees.
mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. melt butter and combine with creamed corn, sugar and chili peppers. mix to combine. add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. add cheese. fold in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
carefully remove cast iron skillet from the oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
bake 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is why I can only have 1 piece:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (95g)
Recipe makes 16 servings
Calories 274
Calories from Fat 139 (50%)
Amount Per Serving/%DV
Total Fat 15.5g 23%
Saturated Fat 9.2g 45%
Monounsaturated Fat 4.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 90mg 30%
Sodium 352mg 14%
Potassium 107mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 30.3g 10%
Dietary Fiber 1.2g 4%
Sugars 13.8g
Protein 5.4g
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1/4 t. salt
4 t. baking powder
1 (15 oz.) can of creamed corn
2 oz. green chili peppers (1/2 small can roasted style)
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
4 eggs
(now this is definitely healthy)
Directions:
preheat oven and skillet to 300 degrees.
mix flour, cornmeal, salt & baking powder and set aside. melt butter and combine with creamed corn, sugar and chili peppers. mix to combine. add eggs one-by one and mix until well blended. add cheese. fold in flour mixture until mixed well, clumps are okay.
carefully remove cast iron skillet from the oven and evenly coat top and sides with canola/vegetable oil. pour in cornbread batter (be careful, it may splatter).
bake 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This is why I can only have 1 piece:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (95g)
Recipe makes 16 servings
Calories 274
Calories from Fat 139 (50%)
Amount Per Serving/%DV
Total Fat 15.5g 23%
Saturated Fat 9.2g 45%
Monounsaturated Fat 4.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 90mg 30%
Sodium 352mg 14%
Potassium 107mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 30.3g 10%
Dietary Fiber 1.2g 4%
Sugars 13.8g
Protein 5.4g